Photo by Mysti Cabasug, U.S. Air Force. (Public Domain)
American Singer, Songwriter, Guitarist, & Band Leader • Born 1966 • Rock, Pop, Country Music
- Singer-songwriter Darius Rucker was born on May 13, 1966, in Charleston, South Carolina.
- When he was young, his mother, two aunts, grandmother and 14 children lived together in one apartment.
- Darius frequently sang around the house to his mother’s Al Green albums.
- Rucker enjoys football and hanging out with friends Brad Paisley & Tiger Woods.
- Darius Rucker’s band Hootie & The Blowfish had many mainstream pop hits with their #1 album, Cracked Rear View.
- Their songs “Hold My Hand,” “Time,” “Let Her Cry,” and “I Only Want to Be With You,” sold more than 16 million units, and earned two Grammy awards.
- In 2008 he surprised many fans by releasing a country album, Learn to Live.
- The album’s first single, “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It” jumped to the #1 country song, making him the first African-American singer to reach the top of the country charts since Charley Pride in 1988.
- His next record, True Believers (2013), also won a Grammy.
- Darius has two daughters and one son.