Kent Buckingham / https://www.flickr.com/photos/bucky1105/6037702158/lightbox/, CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)
Hawaiian Singer, Ukulele player, & Activist • May 20, 1959 – June 26, 1997 • Contemporary Traditional Music
- In Hawaiian Kamakawiwo’ole translates “the fearless eye, the bold face.”
- Formed a band with his brother called Makaha Sons of Ni’ihau
- He and his band embraced traditional Hawaiian melodies.
- He is known around the world for his versions of “Over the Rainbow” and “What a Wonderful World.”
- He believed that Hawaii should become an independent country.
- He and many of his family members struggled with health problems due to obesity.
- His nickname was “IZ.”
- He died of respiratory failure at age 38.