Bollywood Hungama / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)
Indian Singer • Born 1984 • Bollywood Playback Singing and Indian Classical Music
- Born in 1984, West Bengal, India
- Mum was a singer and taught Shreya songs from an early age
- She trained in Hindustani Classical Music (Northern Indian)
- Her father (and the whole family) was transferred to Mumbai when she was 13. Mumbai is the main centre of the ‘Bollywood’ film industry.
- Shreya won or did well in several national singing competitions whilst a teenager, including Sa Re Ga Ma (famous singing competition show).
- She records in several languages including Hindi, Assamesse, Bengali, Bhojpuri, Gujrarati, Kannada, Marathi, Malayalam, Nepali, Oriya, Tamil and Telegu
- “The American state of Ohio has honoured Bollywood playback singer Shreya Ghoshal for her contribution to the music industry by declaring June 26 as ‘Shreya Ghoshal Day.'” (From https://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/shreya-has-her-own-day/story-gjlTB9YizqeF9fXFqIlhHK.html)
- She has been a judge on various talent shows including X Factor India and Indian Idol Junior