Photo Copyright by World Economic Forum / Greg Beadle / CC-BY-NC-SA-2.0
Chinese Sheng Player, Bawu Player,
Singer and Composer • Born 1971 • Chinese Traditional Music, Western Classical Music, and Rock & Roll
- Performs on the sheng (pronounced shung) and the bawu (both Chinese wind instruments).
- Attended the Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing, China.
- From a family of sheng makers/players.
- Has developed an electronic sheng.
- Performs in the Silkroad Ensemble with Yo-Yo Ma and Rhiannon Giddens.
- Sang in the rock band Lunhui and also sings opera.
- Has played with orchestras in Hong Kong, Singapore, Chicago, and New York.
- New York’s China Institute named him 2012 Musician of the Year.
- Has won 2 Grammys and an Asia Game Changer Award.
- Has also composed music for film.