Ranky Tanky Thursday Showcases Womex 2018 by Eric van Nieuwland, licensed under CC by 2.0
- Ranky Tanky was formed in 2016 by 4 musicians who had previously played in a jazz quartet after college in 1998.
- The band reunited with the vision of creating a new sound inspired by the history of their home in South Carolina and added Quiana Parler as their vocalist.
- The ensemble focuses on jazz-influenced arrangements from Gullah culture, who were descended from slaves in the lowcountry of the southeast and the nearby Sea Islands.
- “Ranky Tanky” is a Gullah saying roughly translating to “work it” or “get funky”
- Debuted their first full-length album Ranky Tanky in 2017 and their second album Good Time in 2019.
- Ranky Tanky was awarded a Grammy for Best Regional Roots Album in 2020 for their album Good Time.