Photo by Tech. Sgt. Samuel King Jr., Courtesy: US Air Force
(John Roger Stephens)
American Singer, Songwriter, & Producer • Born December 28th, 1978 • R&B, Soul, Pop
- John Legend was a child prodigy who learned to play piano from his grandmother and sang in a church choir.
- He was the salutatorian of his graduating high school class in Springfield, Ohio.
- After college, he first worked for a Boston Consulting Group, but still made time for music by performing at nightclubs in New York City.
- Soon after, John was introduced to Kanye West and the pair worked together on their early demos.
- His very first album, Get Lifted, went platinum in 2004 and won three Grammy awards.
- In 2018 after his performance as Jesus in NBC’s production of Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, John Legend became the youngest and first African-American man to have received one of each major North American entertainment award: an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award (known as a member of the EGOT Club).
- John has stressed in interviews that he wants his career to be defined by the fact that he’s always going to try new things and experiment.
- He has been a vocal coach on NBC’s The Voice singing competition since 2018.
- John Legend is married to model Chrissy Teigen and they have two children, Luna and Miles.